ads

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Slider[Style1]

Style2

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Style6[OneLeft]

Style6[OneRight]

Welcome to my stop on the virtual book tour for Jack Gets His Man by D. E. Haggerty, a humorous romance released on July 1.



http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2015/06/vbt-jack-gets-his-man-by-d-e-haggerty.html



Jack Gets His Man
by D. E. Haggerty


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


BLURB


Everything seems to be going well in Jack’s life. His store is busy making money hand over fist and his best friend has found love. The new bookkeeper at the store discovers things aren’t actually as they seem. Someone is playing fast and loose with the store accounts. Jack’s bestie and his knitting group fancy themselves detectives and jump at the chance to solve Jack’s problems. When they aren’t re-enacting scenes from Mission: Impossible, they’re setting Jack up on dates and generally insinuating themselves into his love life. They’re determined to find love for Jack as well as his missing money. Will Jack catch a thief or find love? Either way Jack’s going to get his man.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~


EXCERPT

The first candidate arrived promptly at 9:30 or at least his mom did. Danny ushered an elderly lady with a stern bun into Jack’s office and made a hasty retreat.


Jack just stared at her until Izzy cleared her throat and poked him in the ribs. “I’m sorry,” she said when Jack kept staring. “We were expecting someone named Fred. Is that you?”


The woman looked first at Jack and then at Izzy. “Of course that’s not me,” she snapped. “What kind of name is Fred for a woman?”


“Er.. um,” Izzy stumbled. “Do you know where Fred is?”


The woman rolled her eyes and harrumphed. “He’s in the bathroom. He always gets nervous at interviews.”


“Um. Okay,” Izzy was quick to respond when she saw Jack opening his mouth. Knowing Jack nothing appropriate was coming out of his mouth at the moment. “Can you have a seat outside while we conduct the interview?” Izzy could do prim and proper when necessary.


The woman gave Izzy the evil eye before turning on her heel and walking out. They never saw Fred.


Jack was licking his fingers when Danny ushered in the next candidate. “Hi!,” the enthusiastic candidate nearly shouted. “I’m Tim!” That part was definitely shouted.


Jack and Izzy stood to shake the man’s hand. He swayed a bit as he leaned forward. Jack took a sniff, but didn’t smell anything untoward. Tim collapsed in his seat while Jack stared at his hand in disgust. Tim’s hands were sweaty. Jack’s mouth pulled tight in a grimace and his nose scrunched in disgust.


“So Tim. Why do you want this job?” Izzy’s voice was overly enthusiastic in an attempt to bring Tim’s attention to her so he wouldn’t see Jack’s grimace. She need not have bothered. Tim had leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes. When he didn’t respond, Izzy snapped her fingers. “Tim?”


“Huh? What?” He started.


“Have you been drinking?” Jack didn’t even bother to ask in a polite manner.


Tim shrugged. “Just a tiny drink to settle my nerves.”


Jack stood. “Okay. Thanks a lot for coming. We’ll be in touch.”


Tim looked confused but managed to struggle to his feet and lurch out of the door. Izzy was giggling uncontrollably by the time Jack sat back down. He snorted. “At least this isn’t boring.”




~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INTERVIEW


Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?


Why people should read my book is an easy question to answer. Because it’s good fun (I hope!), an escape from the drudgery that is everyday life if you will. We can all use a break from reality once in a while. At least I can. Who should read my book is a bit more complicated question to answer. I know I’m supposed to know my audience before I publish my book and start marketing but what’s the fun in that? The book is a romantic comedy with a middle-aged gay hero. Obviously, the book is going to appeal to a somewhat older crowd. I’m still researching M/M romance books and figuring out who reads them and why.


How did you come up with the title of your book or series?


The title just came to me, which was a wonderful change from my usual headache of trying to come up with a title. Our hero, Jack, is trying to find who stole his money but he’s also looking for love or rather his friends are searching for love on his behalf. Jack Gets His Man seemed to be the perfect title to catch the duality of Jack’s mission in the book. The series name, The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives, took me a while to figure out. I chose to concentrate the series name on the knitting ladies in the books because the reviewers love them – as do I of course. From there it wasn’t much of a leap to the title itself. The ladies certainly fancy themselves detectives and I do so like to make puns about their gray hair in the books.


Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular image/artwork?


I have no artistic talent whatsoever but I always know what I want for the cover. Luckily, my husband not only has artistic talent but also the magical abilities to decipher my scribbles explaining my wishes. Normally, I try to find an image that comes close to what I want for the cover and then the husband does his thing with it to make it into what I really want. This time I couldn’t find what I wanted in a ready-made image and so the hubby and I had to rethink what I wanted and how to go about getting it. The hubby ended up designing and drawing the entire cover this time. It took us a few tries to get to a cover we were both happy with, but we made it! And no, neither one of us has filed for divorce –yet!


Who is your favorite character from your book and why?


Of course I love Jack, he’s my hero after all, but I’m going to say my favorite character in this book is Rose. Rose is a member of the Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives. We didn’t see much of her in the previous book, but she comes into her own in this book. She’s super smart and just may be the key to solving this book’s mystery.


How about your least favorite character?  What makes them less appealing to you?


Wyatt, Jack’s ex, annoys the daylights out of me. He’s the crazy ex that we’ve all had but then he takes it a step further. Plus he’s got a secret which is not very nice at all. I could seriously strangle the guy.


How can we contact you or find out more about your books?


I feel like I’m all over social media but it’s an illusion as more social media websites pop up all the time. How does a middle-aged woman hope to keep up? Here’s where I’m hanging out at the moment.



What can we expect from you in the future?


Right now I’m working on the third and final book in the Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives series. I’m really excited about this one. It’s the knitting detectives most difficult case yet as one of their own is accused of murder. With no clues to chase after, the ladies are stumped. The story itself is more serious than the previous two books, but there should be lots of laughs as well (fingers crossed). I’ve got two other books I can’t wait to get started on after that. I’m writing a sequel to Life Discarded. At lot of readers had asked me to write a sequel, but I wasn’t sure. I couldn’t get Morgan, the protagonist, out of mind, though, and now I’m chomping at the bit to get writing. I also have a spy novel that takes place in Istanbul during the Second World War on my to do list. The book has been there a long time because I’ve got lots of ideas but not a clear plan how to proceed. Oh well, at some point it will all come together.


What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it successful?


Show a writer some love and write a review. That would be totally awesome. I read a lot of books and I’m not picky about whether it’s self-published or not, but it’s a huge leap of faith to buy a book without at least a few reviews.


Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?


Oh gosh I’m definitely not an expert in this area. I only spent a short time sending out query letters before I gave up and stored my manuscript in the attic. As a recovering lawyer, I love the idea of self-publishing. I get to keep all my rights, control every aspect of my work from the writing to the cover art and I don’t need to negotiate percentages with agents or publishers. So here’s my advice: Before deciding whether to self-publish or not, spend some time thinking about what you as a writer want. Do you just want to write and leave the rest to a publisher? Or do you want to maintain control over the edits? Who do you want to have the final say so in cover art? How much time and effort are you willing to invest in marketing? I’ve met a lot of writers who went to traditional publishing houses and then were really disappointed in their lack of input in the final project and ended up self-publishing anyway.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~


AUTHOR Bio and Links


I was born and raised in Wisconsin, but think I’m a European. After spending my senior year of high school in Germany, I developed a bad case of wanderlust that is yet to be cured. My flying Dutch husband and I have lived in Ohio, Virginia, the Netherlands, Germany and now Istanbul. We still haven’t decided if we want to settle down somewhere – let alone where. Although I’ve been a military policewoman, a commercial lawyer, and a B&B owner, I think with writing I may have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up. That’s assuming I ever grow up, of course. Between tennis, running, traveling, singing off tune, drinking entirely too many adult beverages, and reading books like they are going out of style, I write articles for a local expat magazine and various websites, review other indie authors’ books, write a blog about whatever comes to mind and am working on my sixth book.


Contact Information


Other books by D.E. Haggerty:











~~~~~~~~~~~~~


GIVEAWAY


The author will be awarding a $25 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn host.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

About Mayor Sonni

Reader extraordinaire. Mayor of Readeropolis. Lover of books, lists, sweet tea, and vacations. Well, not necessarily in that order.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

6 comments:

  1. Great Interview! Thank you for the post and the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting today! I hope everyone enjoys the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your interview and you're right, life is sometimes a bit of drudgery so reading is a wonderful escape! Thank you for sharing! And your husband did a fantastic job with the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I enjoyed reading the excerpt and interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed learning about the book. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete


Top