ads

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Slider[Style1]

Style2

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Style6[OneLeft]

Style6[OneRight]

Goddess Fish Promotions has organized a virtual book tour for DRAGON APOCALYPSE by Josh Powell, a humorous epic fantasy novel available now. The tour will run November 23 - December 18.

Be sure to follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour stops can be found by clicking the banner below.

 

http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2015/10/vbt-dragon-apocalypse-by-josh-powell.html




Dragon Apocalypse

by Josh Powell


GENRE: Humorous Epic Fantasy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


BLURB:


On their way to apprehend a temple thief, Gurken Stonebiter, a templerager of the temple of Durstin Firebeard, and Pellonia, a little, but infuriatingly clever, girl stumble onto a quest to save a town from an evil dragon. The dragon is demanding sacrifices of maidens, and the town is fresh out. Can they discover a way to sate the dragon's bloodlust and save the town?


Along the way, Gurken and Pellonia meet up with Maximina, a half under-elven woman that also happens to be a tad psychic, a ranger with a dash of necromantic ability, a smidgen of samurai training, and just enough time living as a rogue to acquire the ability to sneak up on and stab a foe in the back. Maximina is full of clever ideas on how to gain a tactical advantage over her foes, and on occasion they even work.


During their adventures, Gurken, Pellonia, and Maximina face a snarky unicorn, do battle with a terrible frost giant, contend with a rival adventuring party bent on their utter humiliation, and confront the end of the world in the form of an evil sorcerer and a teeming dragon horde. Can they save the world one more time?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


EXCERPT:


“Stand aside, master thief,” Gurken said.  “Your skills are useless here.  As you can see, there is no lock for you to pick.  The door is barred from the other side.”


“You haven’t even tried to open it yet,” Pellonia said.  She walked up to the door and gave it a nudge.  It did not open.


“As I said,” said Gurken, “stand aside.”  Gurken took an enormous swing at the door, his axe biting deeply and lodging into it. Gurken strained to pull the axe back out of the door.


The board behind the window slid aside and a face with bushy eyebrows and a bulbous nose looked out.  “Did you just cut into my door with your axe?” the dwarf asked.


“Aye, I did,” Gurken agreed, turning red.



“Without knocking first?  Just come cuttin’ your way in?”


“Well, the door was in our way.”


“I should hope so!  That’s what doors are for.  To keep some people in, some people out, and let others pass between.  It wouldn’t be of much use if it didn’t get in folks’ way.”


“But we needed to get by,” Gurken said.


“Did you consider knocking?”


“I did try to push it open,” Pellonia said.  “It didn’t budge.”


“Of course not!  It’s locked!  To. Keep. People. Out.  You have seen a door before, have you not?”


“Well, yes.”


“Then let’s try this again. I’m going to close the window.  You knock.”


“But we’ve already got your attention,” Pellonia said.


“It seems to me, that you need the practice,” said the dwarf, closing the wooden cover behind the window.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 

 
AUTHOR INTERVIEW:
 
 
Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?
 
Fantasy lovers of all ages.  I keep cringing at the “Young Adult” label, because yes, I believe young adults would love Pellonia’s wit and enthusiasm and Maximina’s endlessly creative plans, but the books are also  something I’d love to read.  I appreciate the way they take your expectations and play on them in a funny way.
 
 
How did you come up with the title of your book or series?
 
I was just getting ready to start the book, a sequel to my first book The Berserker and the Pedant.  I had the main character, Maximina Nobility, picked out.  She’s an under-elven jack of all trades, master of none, who loves trying new things and although she learns very fast, she never quite sticks with something long enough to master it.  So, anyway, I was sitting in a panel on cover art at Baycon when someone in the audience spoke about how he would read anything with the word Dragon on the cover, or something like Apocalypse and that the title Dragon Apocalypse would be an instant attention grabber.  That was fine and good, but there were no dragon’s planned for the story yet.  So I added one, okay two... well, eventually there are thousands, it is an apocalypse after all.
 
That’s actually something I do a lot, incorporate humor I find in the world into my books.  In the first book, The Berserker and the Pedant, even the voice actor who voiced the audiobook added some humor.  He read the word geas as ‘gesh’ and when I said no it’s pronounced ‘geese’ he promised to redo it with that pronunciation but his gamer friends would kill him.  I realized gesh vs. geese was an ongoing minor feud in the community so in the book it went.  And it works perfectly because, Arthur Gimble, Wizard of the Tenth Rank, is a pedant who is driven to correct the atrocious grammar of others.  Putting him together with a berserker dwarf leads to endless grammatical fun.
 
 
Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular image/artwork?
 
The cover art was designed on 99 designs by Alerim, an artist from Romania.  She beat out 80 designs to come out on top.  The cover features Maximina Nobility, a character new to the series and who I’m very proud of having created.  More about her next question.  I love the cover because the colors are so striking, the blue orb stands out against the orange red background and, of course, there are the dragons in the background.  Maximina looks very strong, like someone you would not want to mess with, but at the same time quite alluring.  I see her and want to more know about her.
 
 
Who is your favorite character from your book and why?
 
Maximina!  She’s my favorite because of entirely narcissistic reasons, her personality is based on one aspect of mine: I learn very fast, but then get bored.  This is exemplified in how my wife and I play games, she takes longer to learn them than I, but once she does she wallops me every time.  It goes without saying that we have an extensive gaming collection.  Maximina’s name is derived from the gaming term min-maxing.  A min-maxer is someone that looks to exploit the rules, often in incredibly “creative” ways in order to get the largest benefit.  
 
An example of min-maxing from D&D in earlier editions are darts.  Darts had the highest number of attacks per round and, according to a strict min-maxer interpretation of the rules, got the wielders strength bonus on top of the damage of the dart.  That meant darts could pump out enough damage to kill a small dragon in a single round when wielded by a high strength character.  So, of course, Maximina starts off the quest using darts, only to abandon them when she finds something even better...
  
 
Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series: What other books are similar to your own?  What makes them alike?
 
I’ve been called the American Terry Pratchett, but I think they were humoring me.  I’ll accept that moniker after I’ve written forty-plus books and have been a fiction best-seller.  His books really are the closest thing I can compare my writing to, except he does it with a distinctly British style and sense of humour and my sense of humor is American (If you see what I did there, you’d make a great pedantic wizard).  Pratchett also spends a lot of time describing things that have happened, and I write in the present, describing things as they happen.  His way is probably better, he’s got the fans and successful career to prove it, but I enjoy my style because I get lost in the words and story more easily.

 
How can we contact you or find out more about your books?
 
You can send me an email to josh@pedantpublishing.com or on twitter @seasoup.  My books are Amazon exclusive right now, not necessarily because I think that’s the best way to go, but because it’s most of the market and I haven’t had time to expand yet.  I’m focused on writing instead of promotion, which bring me to:
 
 
What can we expect from you in the future?
 
Many, many, many more books.  I intend on putting out two per year.  I’ll be writing four trilogies all set in this world, any one of which will be a completed storyline and good starting point to this world, followed by a closing trilogy that brings all four threads together.  So, 15 books in the main storyline.  Sounds a bit daunting, but it should only take 8 years and the trilogies will themselves be a complete storyline, so it’s not like you’ll be left wanting for your favorite storyline to be finished in 8 years.  This first trilogy will be complete next year.
 
 
What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it successful?
 
Reviews, reviews, reviews!  Nothing is more powerful for me than I excellent review.  I use them in marketing the book, I put them on the back of the cover of the physical copies, I even put one up as the first paragraph description on The Berserker and the Pedant.  I hope to get The Berserker and the Pedant to 50 reviews and then submit to bookbub, which will really help get the book out there.
 
You can also email me and talk to me about what you loved about the book, I get ideas all the time from conversations with readers that spark something for the next book.  I even have the book edited chapter by chapter as I write them because interacting with the editor sparks ideas.  Hopefully this request will come back to bite me later and I’ll get hundreds of emails, but for now my inbox is lonely.  You can give it some attention.
 
Beta reader volunteers would help even more.  So yeah, someone who wants to help out can leave a review (Amazon & Goodreads are best), email me to talk about the book, or volunteer to beta read.
 
 
Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?
 
Read, read, read, then stop reading and write, write, write.  Write the entire first draft all the way to the end even if some parts suck.  You can come back later and fix them and then the book is in editing mode and you can be critical about things, you don’t want to be critical when writing, you want to be creative and criticality stifles creativity.
 
 
Is there anything else you’d like to say?
 
Just thank you to everyone for reading, I hope you enjoy the books as much as I am.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:
JOSH POWELL, wielder of the Sommerswerd, destroyer of the thread, expeditioner to Barrier Peaks, discoverer of his magic talent, and venturer into the Tomb of Horrors is known for having survived a harrowing adolescence full of danger and fantasy. He's gone on to write The Berserker and the Pedant and Dragon Apocalypse and is currently working on the yet to be named third book in the series.
He also spends some not inconsiderable amount of time wiggling his fingers over a keyboard as a software engineer.  He lives with his wife, Marianne, and two amazing children, Liam and Chloe, in sunny California, where winter is, most decidedly, never coming.


Website:

Amazon:

Twitter:

Goodreads:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~


GIVEAWAY:
Josh Powell will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour, and a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn host.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

About Mayor Sonni

Reader extraordinaire. Mayor of Readeropolis. Lover of books, lists, sweet tea, and vacations. Well, not necessarily in that order.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview. Congrats to Josh on the new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! Wonderful reply. :)

      Delete
    2. Really, really enjoyed the excerpt. This sounds like a great story.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so, Becky. I enjoyed writing it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for doing interview! Alerim did a great job with the cover.

    Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover, couldn't be happier with it. The colors are striking, it's very readable, it encapsulates the book white well. One of my favorite parts of being self-published is getting to pick the cover.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the interview and excerpt, sounds like an exciting read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! I think it's a very exciting read. Let me know if you end up checking it out.

      Delete
  5. Great excerpt and interview, I enjoyed reading them both. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the interview and excerpt, thank you! Amazing cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the interview. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed you saying you enjoyed the interview. Thank you!

      Delete


Top