ads

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Slider[Style1]

Style2

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Style6[OneLeft]

Style6[OneRight]

Goddess Fish Promotions has organized a Virtual Book Tour for The End of Ordinary by Edward Ashton , a scince fiction available June 20, 2017 from Harper Voyager Impulse.

Edward will be awarding a 14 Ounce Nalgene—filled with candy corn! & 1 VeryFit Smart Band (US only) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

Be sure to follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found at the bottom of the post.



The End of Ordinary

by Edward Ashton


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENRE: Science Fiction

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


BLURB:

Drew Bergen is an Engineer. He builds living things, one gene at a time. He's also kind of a doofus. Six years after the Stupid War -- a bloody, inconclusive clash between the Engineered and the
UnAltered -- that's a dangerous combination. Hannah is Drew's greatest project, modified in utero to be just a bit better at running than most humans. She’s also his daughter. Her plan for high school is simple: lay low and run fast. Unfortunately for Hannah, her cross-country team has other plans.

Jordan is just an ordinary Homo-Sap. But don’t let that fool you -- he’s also one of the richest kids at Briarwood, and even though there isn’t a single part of him that’s been engineered, someone has it out for him.

Drew thinks he’s working to develop a spiffy new strain of corn, but Hannah and her classmates disagree. They think he's cooking up the end of the world. When one of Drew's team members disappears, he begins to suspect that they might be right. Soon they're all in far over their heads, with corporate goons and government operatives hunting them, and millions of lives in the balance.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


EXCERPT:

“Okay,” he said. “Let’s take this one step at a time. Why do you need accomplices?”

“I already told you,” Micah said. “We are like ninety percent fully opposed to your plans to murder Jordan. Ninety-five percent, even.”

“Quiet,” Bob said. “Grownups are talking now.”

“Micah’s an idiot,” Marta said, “but believe it or not, he’s mostly right. We know about Project Snitch, Daddy.”

Bob’s eyebrows came together at the bridge of his nose.

“Project what?”

Marta rolled her eyes.

“Give it up, Dad. I don’t have anything else to do around here, so I snoop. I’ve heard you and Marco talking about Project Snitch more than once.”

“Actually,” I said, “I think Hannah said that the real name for it was Project Dragon-Corn.”

Bob’s face went blank.

“Oh,” he said, after a long, silent pause. “Oh. Oh, honey. You mean project Sneetch.”

I looked at Marta. Marta looked at me. Micah finished his smoothie, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, and smiled.

“Uh,” Marta said. “What?”

Bob sighed.

“Sneetch, honey. Not Snitch. Sneetch.”

“Oh,” Marta said. “I thought you were just making fun of Marco’s accent when you said it that way.”

We all turned to stare at her.

“Anyway,” I said. “Confusion-wise, I’m not sure that’s…”

I slapped my palm to my forehead and let out a long, low groan.

“What?” Micah asked. “Are you having a stroke?”

“Sneetch,” I said. “Project Sneetch. Holy shit, dude. You think you’re Sylvester McMonkey McBean.”

“Right,” Bob said. He leaned back, and crossed his arms over his chest. “See, honey? Your gay boyfriend gets me.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR INTERVIEW:

Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?

I’d like to think that The End of Ordinary has something in it for just about everyone. I wouldn’t
give it to a child, and I wouldn’t give it to someone with a visceral hatred of science fiction, but I
think anybody else is probably fair game, from YA fans, to folks who are into adult sci-fi, to fans
of literary fiction with a speculative bent like Station Eleven or The Dog Stars. They should read
this book because The End of Ordinary is set in the future, but it’s not rayguns-and-rocketships
sci-fi. It deals with serious topics, but it doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s funny, but it’s not
farcical. Also, by the time you get to the end of The End of Ordinary, you’ll know how a
retrovirus works. How many novels can say that?


How did you come up with the title of your book?

Honestly? I didn’t. My working title for this book was Hannah, Altered. I liked that title a lot at the
time, and I actually still think it’s got a nice ring to it. My editor at HarperCollins, however, was
not a fan. My work is mostly science fiction, and it’s got a very heavy dose of dry humor, so she
asked me for something that was maybe a bit more Douglas Adams-esque. I came back with
So Long, and Thanks for all the Super-Herpes. When that went over like a lead balloon, I
decided to crowd-source the problem. I don’t remember who exactly suggested The End of
Ordinary, but that’s the one that seemed to make the most people happy—so, here we are.


Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular design?

One of the nice things about working with a publisher like HarperCollins is that I don’t have to
worry too much about things like cover design—which is good, because graphic design is
definitely not a part of my skill set. After the final edits on the manuscript were complete, the HC
art department provided me with a few concepts for the cover art. For some reason, the image
of the ear of corn unravelling into a double helix really grabbed me. It’s absurd and vaguely
disturbing at the same time, which is an aesthetic that I can appreciate, and the yellow-on-blue
color contrast really popped when I looked at it in thumbnail size.

Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

I like all of my characters, of course, but I really, really love Hannah. She was one of the
toughest characters for me to write in the first draft of the book, but by the end she wound up
with a mix of wide-eyed innocence and faux world-weary cynicism that I thought really captured
the essence of a lot of the people I know in that age bracket. Also, she gave me the opportunity
to write some really funny lines, which I always appreciate.


How about your least favorite character? What makes them less appealing to you?

She’s more of a minor character, but I actually had a tough time writing Marta Longstreth. I think
this is mostly because she’s not the sort of person I’d ever want to hang around with. She’s the
daughter of the richest man on the planet, and while she’s not really a bad person, she’s
definitely over-privileged to an absurd extent. There’s a scene early in the book where she goes
out to dinner with Jordan Barnes (one of the protagonists) at a fairly exclusive restaurant, and
her father has the owner clear the place for the two of them. Jordan has the decency to feel bad
about this, but to Marta it’s just business as usual.


What other books are similar to your own? What makes them alike?

I don’t know that there are any books out there that are really similar to mine. I’d like to think,
though, that if Douglas Adams had a love child with John Green, and she then decided to take
up science fiction, she might come up with something like The End of Ordinary.


How can we contact you or find out more about your books?

The best way is through my website, edwardashton.com. I’ve got links for both my novels there,
as well as a bunch of my shorter pieces, most of which can be had for free. There’s also a
contact form if you’d like to send me a note, which I strongly encourage—especially if you have
kind things to say, of course, but it’s really helpful to know if someone finds something I wrote to
be objectionable for some reason as well.


What can we expect from you in the future? What are you working on now?

Well, I’m currently about three-quarters finished with the first draft of my next book, A Brief
History of the Stupid War. This one is set in the same future as The End of Ordinary and my first
novel, Three Days in April, and tells the story of the war between the engineered and the
unmodified that serves as a backdrop in The End of Ordinary. I also try to put out a new short
story every couple of months. You can find links to most of those on my website.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Edward Ashton lives with his adorably mopey dog, his inordinately patient wife, and a steadily diminishing number of daughters in Rochester, New York, where he studies new cancer therapies by day, and writes about the awful things his research may lead to by night. He is the author of Three Days in April, as well as several dozen short stories which have appeared in venues ranging from the newsletter of an Italian sausage company to Louisiana Literature and Escape Pod.

You can find him online at edwardashton.com.
Twitter: @edashtonwriting
Facebook: Edward Ashton Writing
Tumblr: Smart-as-as-bee


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


GIVEAWAY

Edward will be awarding a 14 Ounce Nalgene—filled with candy corn! & 1 VeryFit Smart Band (US only) to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.







About Mayor Sonni

Reader extraordinaire. Mayor of Readeropolis. Lover of books, lists, sweet tea, and vacations. Well, not necessarily in that order.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

1 comments:


Top